Wegmans will Open September 15, 2013
in Germantown, Maryland!
Brothers Walter and John Wegman (Robert Wegman’s father and uncle) learned the food business by working in their mom and dad’s grocery store in Rochester, NY. Walter worked in the store while John peddled fresh produce from a pushcart. In 1916, John opened the Rochester Fruit & Vegetable Company, which marks the beginning of Wegmans Food Markets. Walter joined him a year later. By 1921, the two brothers bought the Seel Grocery Co., and expanded their operations to include general groceries and bakery operations.
How Wegmans Supermarkets Compare with Others
More like a European open-air market
Dazzling displays of fresh produce, artisan breads and other baked goods hot from the oven several times a day. Displays of fresh-caught seafood, meat, deli products and imported cheeses, international foods—plus all the groceries and household items usually found in supermarkets.
More choice than possibly any other supermarket chain
More than 70,000 products, compared to an average of just over 40,000 (according to the Food Marketing Institute) in most supermarkets. Take cheese, for example: Wegmans usually has 300 specialty cheeses on hand.
Larger than most supermarkets
(We need room for all that stuff!) Stores run 80,000 to 140,000 square feet in size. Aisles are unusually spacious.
Wegmans offers more customer convenience services and “stores within a store”than possibly any other supermarket chain. Many of Wegmans' stores, though not all, have the following:
- Market Cafés —offering take-out or in-store dining, with seating for 100 to upwards of 500.
- Restaurant-quality entrees, soups, appetizers, gourmet sandwiches and side dishes
- Old Fashioned Sub Shop
- Coffee Shop
- Wokery Buffet and Fresh Food Bar
- Seafood and Asian Bars, with counter seating, where chefs prepare made-to-order dishes
- Pizza and Wings
- Ready-to-cook entrees in our Meat and Seafood departments.
- Bakery — European breads and rolls baked in a brick oven; water-boiled bagels, muffins, pies, cakes, and pastries.
- Pâtisserie — An authentic French pastry shop.
- Deli & Cheese Shop — Hundreds of meats and specialty cheeses, many imported.
- Nature's Marketplace — Natural foods, supplements, herbal remedies, and foods for special dietary needs.
- Food from Around the World — Italian, Asian, Indian, Latino/Hispanic, Kosher, British, and German.
- Complements — Cookware, tableware, and accessories.
- Floral Shop, Greeting Cards and Gift Shop
- Cosmetics; Bath and Body
- Wkids Fun Centers — Where kids ages 3 to 8 can play while their parents shop. Link to Review: Wkids Fun Center at Wegmans Dulles
Information and photos courtesy of: www.wegmans.com
Rick Reed, G.R.I., CDPE- Certified Distressed Property Expert
Assoc. Broker/Owner "The Congressional Team" RE/MAX
Licensed in MD & Wash DC
8937 Shady Grove Court
Gaithersburg, MD 20877
Office: 240-403-0399 X306
Can I help a friend or family member with their Real Estate needs? You can count on me!